Before designing a naturalistic bearded dragon cage, you must take into consideration the following facts about bearded dragons:
- Bearded dragons need to bask under the sun or an artificial heat and light source. They are active during the daytime and love to be under a light source. As bearded dragons are cold-blooded, they need heat to assist in the circulation of their blood and digestion. A good location for the basking lamp to be placed is in the center or off to one side of the terrarium so as for you to easily locate your pet reptile. It would be recommended to provide for your reptile a piece of driftwood, a bamboo root, jungle vine or even a Tambora wood root.
- Bearded dragons need a hiding place. These creatures also need a private place from time to time. Utilize pieces of wood or vines in their environment with holes or spaces between them so they may have a place to snooze in. They are also curious as to explore all nooks and crannies that are available around them.
- Reptiles need a place to observe the world around them. They are an active lot, so it would be best to plan the settings they are in for them to go around and scamper up and down. For example, a jungle vine placed at a certain angle will give them a chance to get closer to a light source and get warm on chilly days.
- Create a natural-looking setting. Bearded dragons are generally from the wild. You must consider this fact and make use of natural materials in order for these reptiles to easily adapt and feel at home in their new environment. Try different types of stones, jungle vines, plant roots and more to make a lifelike environment for your bearded dragon.
Now, on to create that unique terrarium for your bearded dragon :
- The size enclosure for baby bearded dragons is 20 gallons, while adults require enclosures of up to 40 gallons and larger – with 8 square feet of floor space being preferable.
- Calcium sand, aspen bedding, and reptile bark are good choices for bedding. It is best to use bedding that is easily replaceable when cleaning is necessary. Tropical moss, bark chunks, and leaves are great additions to the base of your cage. But you should keep in mind that these items should be properly cleaned before placing it inside the terrarium.
- Situate the basking lamp above the screen to provide ample light and heat for the bearded dragon.
- Make a selection of natural decorations or materials for these reptiles to play, run around and bask on. Secure them thoroughly first as not to bring any harm to the reptile.
- Always keep the cage clean. You should regularly dispose of uneaten food and waste. It is imperative that you must keep it’s environment clean.
- Another factor to consider is proper ventilation.
- You must choose your reptile well in order to ensure that they are simple enough to care for and will live long in the terrarium.
- Always maintain a fresh, natural look and change any decorations that have worn out. These bearded dragons will love a change of environment from time to time.